Staying Safe This Winter Storm Season: Vehicle Safety Edition
Previously, we have talked about preparing and protecting your home during a snow storm here in Buffalo, NY. But, what about preparing you and your car during a snow storm here in WNY? It’s happened before, the Weather Man calls for a major snow storm and we think, “Ok, I’ll believe it when I see it”, and we go about with our day. Then, BAM out of nowhere it starts snowing like crazy. Now you are left to try to navigate home, that’s if you don’t get stuck along the way.
But, what happens if you do get stuck in your vehicle during a snow storm? Are you prepared? You will be now! Just follow these tips to create a winter safety kit to store in your vehicle this winter:
- Always keep an ice scraper and a snow brush in your car. If you are staying still during a snow storm, that snow will build up fast. You will want to keep the car brushed off so you stay visible.
- Gloves, hats and a blanket to keep warm! You will eventually want to turn the car off to save on gas. These items will help keep you warm.
- A shovel, chain, or rope, to help dig yourself out.
- A flashlight and reflector and/or flares to stay visible at night.
- Rock salt, sand, or kitty litter to help give you traction when you are stuck.
- A first aid kit and a tool set.
- Jumper cables and a cell phone charger.
- And lastly, you should ALWAYS have AT LEAST half a tank of gas or more. We recommend staying as close to full as you can.
Keep all these items in a water proof bin (you can purchase these at any hardware or super center store) with the lid closed in your truck. This way you are prepared for any size disaster this winter!