NYS Mold Remediation Certifications
NYS Mold Remediation Certifications
The Department's new Mold Program, which is responsible for enforcing Article 32 of the New York State Labor Law, establishes licensing requirements and minimum work standards for professionals engaged in mold assessment and remediation. There are three main components to the new law:
- Training: The Mold Program will protect consumers by requiring contractors to obtain appropriate training prior to being licensed to perform mold assessment, remediation or abatement services.
- Licensing: Contractors will not be allowed to advertise or perform covered work without the required license, with limited exceptions such as home or business owners performing work on their own properties.
- Minimum Work Standards: The Mold Program also establishes new minimum work standards for mold assessments and remediation activities by licensed professionals, including:
- Protection against fraud by prohibiting the performance of both the assessment and remediation on the same property by the same individual;
- Protection against fraud by requiring an independent mold assessment to define the scope of the remediation work;
- Identification of disinfectant products, consistent with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency standards;
- Provision of personal protection equipment to employees, as necessary;
- Posted notice of the project and the contractor's licenses; and
- Completion of a post-remediation assessment.
SERVPRO® of The Southtowns is certified and compliant with the new NYS Mold Remediation requirements
Choosing the Appropriate Fire Extinguisher
Know your fire extinguisher
Know your fire extinguisher! Using the proper type of extinguisher saves lives.
Class A: This is the most common extinguisher and can e used to put out fires in ordinary combustibles such as cloth, wood, rubber, paper and many plastics.
Class B: Used on fires involving flammable liquids, such as grease, gasoline and oil.
Class C: Designed for fires involving appliances, tools, or other equipment electronically energized or plugged in.
Class D: For use on flammable metals: often specific for they type of metal in question. These are typically found only in factories working with these metals.
Class K: Intended for use on fires that involve vegetable oils, animal oils, or fats in cooking appliances. These extinguishers are generally found in commercial kitchens, but are becoming more popular in residential market for use in kitchens.
Injectidry Saves Gym Floor
Injectidry Mat-Panel Drying System
When Frontier Middle School discovered a pool of water on their gym floor they called SERVPRO of The Southtowns to come in and assess the situation.
Upon arrival, our highly trained technicians were able to dry and preserve the affected area with the use of injectidry panels. Injectidry panels are a mat-panel drying system which allows SERVPRO to extract water from the subfloor level by creating a vacuum effect between the panels and the flooring. The technicians were then able to control and speed up the drying process by sealing off the affected area and using a dehumidifier to pull out more moisture.
Within a matter of a few days Frontier Middle School’s gym was restored and ready to go. Just another example of how SERVPRO of The Southtowns makes it “Like it never even happened.”
Restoring Your Buffalo Commercial Property After a Water Damage Event
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges
Flooding and water damage events in Buffalo, NY commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO® of The Southtowns
SERVPRO® of The Southowns specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet Our Crew
What Causes Mold in a Home
Possible causes of mold in your home
When customers call us wanting to get rid of the mold in their home, we often ask them what caused the mold to be there. This is an important question, because if the cause of the mold growth is not fixed, then mold will return after the mold remediation is completed.
There are many different reasons that could cause mold to grow. By failing to get to the root of the problem, mold will most definitely come back.
There are many different types of mold. Mold is essentially all around us. It is indoors, outdoors, settled on materials and in the air. Mold can transfer from place to place by spores wafting around in the air or being transferred via clothing or other items. Mold growth thrives in moist damp areas.
In order to stop mold growth in your home, it is important to follow these recommendations:
- Keep doors and windows closed during times when the mold count outside is high.
- Make sure your windows, doors and roofs are not allowing moisture into the home. These are places in the home that often allow water into the home causing mold problems.
- Make sure your basement is properly sealed and ground water is not settling inside of your home.
- Ensure that your home is exhausting and ventilated appropriately. Often people find that their bathroom exhaust fan is not ventilating properly and the moisture is getting stuck in the attic space causing mold to grow. Likewise, a dryer vent may be exhausting into a crawlspace rather than all the way to an outside area.
- Check your pipes and drains to ensure that water is not leaking from these areas.
If you have an area of your home that gets a lot of moisture that cannot be fixed correctly or may be too costly, consider putting a dehumidifier in that area to draw extra moisture out of the air. You may want to consult with someone with knowledge about different types of dehumidifiers do see what kind would best work in the space you are drying to dehumidify.
If you should have more questions on this topic, please feel free to call our office at 716-646-6684 and ask to speak to someone who can further assist you. We would be happy to help!
Concrobium Mold Stain Remover
Mold staining can remain on surfaces affected by mold even after the mold has been removed. Concrobium Mold Stain Remover is one of the products that we often use on mold projects for stain removal. This product is designed to effectively eliminate mold staining. This stain remover removes the toughest mold staining and separates mold from the surface for remediation. Once the concrobium has been applied, we let it dry and begin HEPA vacuuming and wiping affected surfaces.
This solution is safe for use in homes, hospitals, schools, commercial and industrial buildings. The stain remover works on hard, non-porous or semi-porous surfaces such as wood and composite wood, concrete, masonry, drywall, grout, fiberglass, tile, plastic, laminate, metal and fabric.
The Concrobium Mold Stain Remover has a slight odor which will dissipate within a couple hours of usage. Due to the odor, it is important that this product is used in a well ventilated area.
Should you have questions as to whether or not this product could be used on a project you have, feel free to call our office at 716-646-6684 and speak to someone about our Concrobium Mold Stain Remover.
Why Choose SERVPRO - Right Product, Right Job
SERVPRO product line
The right equipment and product for the job means everything. When you call on SERVPRO of The Southtowns you can feel secure that the products and equipment we bring into your home or work place are the best in the industry for your specific needs.
Here at SERVPRO, we have an on-staff chemist that has created a custom line of cleaning products based on experience and knowledge from over 40 years in the restoration industry.
The SERVPRO line of Professional Cleaning products has over 150 individual products each specifically formulated to get the job done right. Each product has an available MDS sheet so you know exactly what compounds are in your environment and we can avoid allergens. We also have a complete line of natural and sustainable products.
DryBook Mobile helps make our job sites "paper-lite"
DryBook Mobile is making our job sites "paper-lite" as we transition more daily paperwork to the iPad.
All of our crews are being trained on DryBook Mobile to create a job process that is transparent and honest.
DryBook mobile is the proprietary program designed and used throughout the SERVPRO franchise system. The program includes floor plans of areas that we are working in, water meter reading or wet areas to show the progression of drying, and equipment formulas based on room size and type of water damage to determine the appropriate amount of dehumidifiers and air movers to remove excess moisture in a timely manner.
SERVPRO of The Southtowns is the restoration company you can count on for over 20 years in Western New York. Call us today for all of your fire, water, mold, and bio-hazard clean up needs.
Fire Damage Tips
"Soot Webs" may form from very hot fires
Have you ever experienced something like this? After a fire "soot webs" may form, this is a reaction of the heat and smoke, not the result of poor house keeping. Always call your SERVPRO of The Southowns professionals before attempting to clean fire damage yourself.
Fire and Smoke - Home Emergency Tips
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further spoil upholstery, walls, and woodwork
- Blow or brush vacuum loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes, and carpets
- Place old towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open
- Clean and protect chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances with a light coating of Vaseline or oil.
- Wash house plants on both sides of leaves
- Change HVAC filter
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO Professional
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting your SERVPRO Professional
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances, TV sets, radios, etc that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service
- Use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. (They may be contaminated.)
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged.
- Send garments to ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Hydraulic Oil Spill
When a forklift sprung a hydraulic oil leak it created a 20,000 square foot safety hazard in a local Buffalo production warehouse. The parking lot and warehouse floor had a coat of oil that needed to be cleaned for the safety of the employees and the environment.
SERVPRO® of The Southtowns was able to react quickly to get the spill cleaned up and the warehouse back on schedule. We take commercial losses very seriously, we know that every hour of down time has a cost of loss production and loss of revenue.
The facility manager, John, was thrilled, he said “Thank you for getting here quickly!”
There is no job too large or too small for SERVPRO® of The Southtowns, we are on call 24/7 to make it “Like it never even happened."