What To Do Until Help Arrives...Water Damage Edition
Time is KEY when it comes to water damage, so utilize these helpful tips until help arrives. These tips will help prevent further damage to your valuables and home. But, remember only a professional at SERVPRO of The Southtowns can ensure that your home is dried fully and properly.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of laps and table top items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and pillow cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove oriental rugs or other colored rugs from wet wall-to-wall carpeting.
- Remove valuable paintings and art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Open and place luggage in sunlight to dry, if possible.
- Gather loose items, toys etc. from floors.
- Leave wet fabrics in place; dry as soon as possible. Hang furs and leather good to dry separately at room temperature.
- Leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpets or floors.
- Use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Use TV or other household appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors. Especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.