Chimney Fires Cause More Damage Then You Think
Did you know chimney fires account for over $120 million in damage every year? As you prepare for colder winter months, be sure to get your chimney cleaned.
If you do experience fire damage in your home, here are some Do and Don't tips:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas until cleaning is complete.
- Blow or brush vacuum, loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes, and carpets.
- Wash house plants on both sides of leaves.
- Clean and protect chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to prevent redistribution of soot from ducts.
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstery.
- Send garments to ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.