Think Twice Before You Plug That Space Heater In
It is that time of year when there is a chill in the air and a little extra warmth is needed. However, if not used properly space heaters can be very dangerous. Here are some great space heater safety tips to prevent a fire in your home this winter season.
Electric space heaters are generally more expensive to operate than combustion space heaters, but they are the only unvented space heaters that are safe to operate inside your home. Although electric space heaters avoid indoor air quality concerns, they still pose burn and fire hazards and should be used with caution.
1. Place heater on a hard, level surface
2. Turn heater off when you leave
3. Keep heater 3 ft. from the nearest object
4. Avoid using extension cords
5. Look for heaters with tip over and over heat protection
6. Keep heaters away from water and flammable items such as papers, blankets, and curtains.
Educating yourself about the safety hazards that come with the improper use of portable heaters will help you achieve better peace of mind as you keep your home warm, comfortable, and fire hazard-free this winter.