What Causes Mold in a Home
Possible causes of mold in your home
When customers call us wanting to get rid of the mold in their home, we often ask them what caused the mold to be there. This is an important question, because if the cause of the mold growth is not fixed, then mold will return after the mold remediation is completed.
There are many different reasons that could cause mold to grow. By failing to get to the root of the problem, mold will most definitely come back.
There are many different types of mold. Mold is essentially all around us. It is indoors, outdoors, settled on materials and in the air. Mold can transfer from place to place by spores wafting around in the air or being transferred via clothing or other items. Mold growth thrives in moist damp areas.
In order to stop mold growth in your home, it is important to follow these recommendations:
- Keep doors and windows closed during times when the mold count outside is high.
- Make sure your windows, doors and roofs are not allowing moisture into the home. These are places in the home that often allow water into the home causing mold problems.
- Make sure your basement is properly sealed and ground water is not settling inside of your home.
- Ensure that your home is exhausting and ventilated appropriately. Often people find that their bathroom exhaust fan is not ventilating properly and the moisture is getting stuck in the attic space causing mold to grow. Likewise, a dryer vent may be exhausting into a crawlspace rather than all the way to an outside area.
- Check your pipes and drains to ensure that water is not leaking from these areas.
If you have an area of your home that gets a lot of moisture that cannot be fixed correctly or may be too costly, consider putting a dehumidifier in that area to draw extra moisture out of the air. You may want to consult with someone with knowledge about different types of dehumidifiers do see what kind would best work in the space you are drying to dehumidify.
If you should have more questions on this topic, please feel free to call our office at 716-646-6684 and ask to speak to someone who can further assist you. We would be happy to help!
Concrobium Mold Stain Remover
Mold staining can remain on surfaces affected by mold even after the mold has been removed. Concrobium Mold Stain Remover is one of the products that we often use on mold projects for stain removal. This product is designed to effectively eliminate mold staining. This stain remover removes the toughest mold staining and separates mold from the surface for remediation. Once the concrobium has been applied, we let it dry and begin HEPA vacuuming and wiping affected surfaces.
This solution is safe for use in homes, hospitals, schools, commercial and industrial buildings. The stain remover works on hard, non-porous or semi-porous surfaces such as wood and composite wood, concrete, masonry, drywall, grout, fiberglass, tile, plastic, laminate, metal and fabric.
The Concrobium Mold Stain Remover has a slight odor which will dissipate within a couple hours of usage. Due to the odor, it is important that this product is used in a well ventilated area.
Should you have questions as to whether or not this product could be used on a project you have, feel free to call our office at 716-646-6684 and speak to someone about our Concrobium Mold Stain Remover.
Why Choose SERVPRO - Right Product, Right Job
SERVPRO product line
The right equipment and product for the job means everything. When you call on SERVPRO of The Southtowns you can feel secure that the products and equipment we bring into your home or work place are the best in the industry for your specific needs.
Here at SERVPRO, we have an on-staff chemist that has created a custom line of cleaning products based on experience and knowledge from over 40 years in the restoration industry.
The SERVPRO line of Professional Cleaning products has over 150 individual products each specifically formulated to get the job done right. Each product has an available MDS sheet so you know exactly what compounds are in your environment and we can avoid allergens. We also have a complete line of natural and sustainable products.
DryBook Mobile helps make our job sites "paper-lite"
DryBook Mobile is making our job sites "paper-lite" as we transition more daily paperwork to the iPad.
All of our crews are being trained on DryBook Mobile to create a job process that is transparent and honest.
DryBook mobile is the proprietary program designed and used throughout the SERVPRO franchise system. The program includes floor plans of areas that we are working in, water meter reading or wet areas to show the progression of drying, and equipment formulas based on room size and type of water damage to determine the appropriate amount of dehumidifiers and air movers to remove excess moisture in a timely manner.
SERVPRO of The Southtowns is the restoration company you can count on for over 20 years in Western New York. Call us today for all of your fire, water, mold, and bio-hazard clean up needs.
Fire Damage Tips
"Soot Webs" may form from very hot fires
Have you ever experienced something like this? After a fire "soot webs" may form, this is a reaction of the heat and smoke, not the result of poor house keeping. Always call your SERVPRO of The Southowns professionals before attempting to clean fire damage yourself.
Fire and Smoke - Home Emergency Tips
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further spoil upholstery, walls, and woodwork
- Blow or brush vacuum loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes, and carpets
- Place old towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open
- Clean and protect chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances with a light coating of Vaseline or oil.
- Wash house plants on both sides of leaves
- Change HVAC filter
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO Professional
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting your SERVPRO Professional
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances, TV sets, radios, etc that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service
- Use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. (They may be contaminated.)
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged.
- Send garments to ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Hydraulic Oil Spill
When a forklift sprung a hydraulic oil leak it created a 20,000 square foot safety hazard in a local Buffalo production warehouse. The parking lot and warehouse floor had a coat of oil that needed to be cleaned for the safety of the employees and the environment.
SERVPRO® of The Southtowns was able to react quickly to get the spill cleaned up and the warehouse back on schedule. We take commercial losses very seriously, we know that every hour of down time has a cost of loss production and loss of revenue.
The facility manager, John, was thrilled, he said “Thank you for getting here quickly!”
There is no job too large or too small for SERVPRO® of The Southtowns, we are on call 24/7 to make it “Like it never even happened."
Restoring your Western New York Commercial Property after a Water Damage Event
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges
Flooding and water damage events in Buffalo, NY commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO® of The Southtowns
SERVPRO® of The Southowns specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet Our Crew
Our Highly Trained Restoration Specialists can restore your Western New York Home
ERVPRO of The Southtowns is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of The Southtowns
SERVPRO of The Southtowns specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
When Storms or Floods hit Western New York, SERVPRO is ready!
SERVPRO of The Southtowns specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, by Thom and Lyn Braun, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Western New York, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of over 1,700 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today SERVPRO of The Southtowns
When the sprinklers burst...
SERVPRO of The Southtowns on site at 1am!
Our definition of 24/7 means that when the sprinklers burst at 1am, we are there.
When this commercial facility called us at 1am because the sprinklers stated going off, by 2am we had a crew on site to begin extracting the standing water and setting up drying equipment.
There is no job too large or too small for SERVPRO of The Southtowns. We respond to all emergence night and day because our customers need to get back to normal as quickly as possible. Having SERVPRO of The Soutthowns in your corner is having a hero you can count on. Every loss is catastrophic for the people who have to live through it, we want to take the stress away and make it "Like it never even happened."